History of Links – Pre Google – A complex world!
– earlier with multiple search engines with slow to update and narrow coverage, now with automated search engines with low quality and increased coverage.
– Links are like votes – Google Theory
– Anchor text as a relevance factor
– Proximity of words and keywords density
Are Links Dead?
– Links are not dead, the weightage has changed.
– Google webmaster tools consider links as an important factor.
Links are Everywhere
– Case of PR web gone wrong in a press release submission issue.
Link Building – what not to do!
– Buying links, not recommended due to penalty concerns
– JC Penny case, caught for buying links for ‘just anything’. Lost most of the ranking.
– Forbes caught for selling links hence devalued.
– DecorMyEyes was penalised for negative comments for link building.
– Google Chrome and Google Japan penalised by Google for buying links 🙂
– Bad link building through articles: Poorly written article submitted in multiple directories. Considered as duplicate content by Google.
– Right way: Write on target content and place relevantly
Where to get links from?
– Local is big . For ex. Google Places – google maps and searches
– Linkable assets: Great Content = Great Links
– Blog adds freshness with QDF (query deserves freshness), Google loves it! Do keyword research and write on what people are looking for.
– Social media is a part of Google’s search algorithm
– Evergreen Concept : Creating content with the same page
– Creating linkable assets through Infographics. Lot of research is required and need to be creative.
– Be a thought leader in your industry. Please link you easily and search engines trust you.
– Think of images, videos, reviews and other channels to get traffic.
– Links = Traffic, not Ranking. One update on Google can lose large chunk of traffic.
Link Building Tools:
– SEO without best tools is useless
– Google WMT, XENU (Free), MajesticSEO, SEOMoz, Blekko, SEOToolSET
– identifying link building tools and linking opportunities
– The latest Google Disavow Tool – in response to negative SEO